Laura van Gijn
IP & Advertising
Partner | Attorney-at-law
Laura van Gijn is the head of the IP & Advertising team at De Roos and a partner at De Roos. Laura van Gijn is an attorney-at-law specialised in intellectual property law, advertising law and privacy law. With over 15 years of experience in the field, Laura leads the intellectual property/advertisement law department as well as works closely with privacy law and IT law departments.
Laura started her career in 2007 at Klos Morel Vos & Schaap (at the time ranked as Chambers Band 1 Intellectual Property Netherlands), a firm specialising in intellectual property law. She had worked at Klos Morel Vos & Schaap as she joined De Roos in February 2015.
Laura is a highly experienced specialist in all aspects of classic intellectual property law (copyright law, trademark law, tradename law, database law, design law), both inside and outside the courtroom. Moreover, Laura has handled a big variety of cases in related fields of law, such as privacy law, rights to one’s own image, unfair competition (slavish imitation), protection of know-how, advertisement- and media law, etc. Through secondment projects to (international) e-commerce and media- and entertainment companies, Laura has also gained in-house experience within these sectors.
Laura regularly publishes articles in legal journals on various topics related to law and educates on privacy, ethics and data subjects, e.g. at the IIR (Chief Data Officer training).
Recent publications by Laura in professional journals:
- Mr. L. van Gijn, Mr. D. Hoekzema, Privacy & Informatie, edition oktober 2022, AVG-handhaven op B2B niveau – what are we waiting for?
- Mr. L. van Gijn, Mr. D. Hoekzema, Tijdschrift Aanbestedingsrecht, edition oktober 2021, De AVG & aanbestedingsprocedures – privacy een nice to have?
- Mr. L. van Gijn, Mr. D. Hoekzema, Privacy & Informatie, edition oktober 2020, Data delen in smart mobility – voert wishful thinking de boventoon voor anonimiseren?
- Guiding funding rounds of ‘IP-heavy’ growth companies
- Trademark infringement by AdWord use and/or Dynamic Keyword Insertion
- (Re)structuring of intellectual property, intercompany transfer and license back agreements
- Infringement of trademark and copyrights via social media channels
- Opposition proceedings at the BOIP and EUIPO
- License Agreements
- Liability for platforms with user generated content;
- Hijacking of domain and app names
- Strategic advice on privacy compliance
- Advising on food labelling
- Advising on misleading advertising and (anti-) greenwashing
- Advising on legislation regarding the use of online reviews
- Handling complaints at the Dutch Advertising Code Committee
- Drafting general terms and conditions.