Partner | Attorney-at-law
Eva Kempenaar is a co-head of the Financial Innovation team at De Roos. Eva specialises in supervision of the financial markets.
Eva advises and litigates on the laws and regulations governing financial undertakings and financial markets. She gained vast experience as an advisor for various types of financial undertakings (e.g. banks, payment institutions, (venture capital) fund managers, investment firms, etc.) regarding market entry, licence applications and screening of policymakers by the Dutch supervisors, governance, compliance and anti-money laundering legislation (Anti-Money Laundering Directive (AML) and sanction regulations). Prior to joining De Roos, she worked at Loyens & Loeff, where she was also part of the financial regulatory team. Eva has also gained useful in-house experience during a secondment as a legal counsel at ABN AMRO Bank, where she primarily worked on cases and litigation related to the offering and intermediation of consumer and mortgage credit.
Besides her enthusiasm for creative (online) businesses, Eva has a special interest in FinTech and she takes pleasure in working on crypto & blockchain initiatives,taking into consideration the legal aspects of crowdfunding as well as new payment and investment methods. She also wrote the contributions about Fintech and Blockchain laws and regulations in The Netherlands for The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides.
Eva studied law and art history at Leiden University and the University of Oxford. She has been working for the Dutch Financial Law Review (Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht) since the beginning of 2018 and regularly publishes articles on topics related to financial law, namely:
- Upcoming AML legislation
- Operating within the financial sector
- Fund management
- Prospectus requirements
- Advising leading neo banks and payment service providers on product development, international expansion and ongoing requirements.
- Advising start-ups and new market entrants on the regulatory regime applicable to their businesses (PSD2, MiFID II, EMD2, AIFMD, MiCA, Prospectus regulation).
- Assisting with obtaining market access & authorisations (licence/registration/exemptions).
- Advising DeFi protocols and crypto exchanges on financial regulatory matters in the Netherlands and globally.
- Advising on regulatory aspects of M&A transactions and joint ventures in the financial sector.
- Advising on various aspects of AML and sanctions legislation (implementation in business operations, training of personnel).
- Advising on the regulatory qualification of cryptographic tokens.
- Advising financial undertakings on sustainability disclosures and claims.
- Advising fund managers on structuring, regulatory authorization and ongoing requirements.